Having taken away a group of teenagers to Soul Survivor youth camp for the past few years, this year I was waving them off as they headed into the ether with their 21 year old youth leaders.
I can honestly say, it was great to pass on the baton to the younger generation, and see them off. As always, it brought to mind the necessary equipment you need, especially when catering for 12 hungry teens for 5 days with no electric hook up. I thought it would be a good idea (learning from several years of mistakes) to do a top ten list for the things you need to take when you go camping. Do add to it as you see fit, and of course have a great time.
- A tent big enough for your group Including all tent poles! (Yes this really has happened, we forgot the bag of tent poles!)
- Mallet – it makes it so much easier than trying to do it with your shoe, just make sure you keep it with any left over pegs, as lots of things go astray when away with a group of teens.
- Sleeping Bags, air bed and a pillow. On several occasions, our groups have forgotten their pillow or sleeping bags, and unless you want to see everyone gasping for air, remember a pump for your airbed!
- Cooking device, fuel and of course matches or a lighter.
- Pots and Pans, cooking utensils, crockery & cutlery (again often forgotten by teenagers even when on a kit list!)
- Cool Box and Ice Blocks to keep your food cool.
- Water container.
- Rota for all those daily chores. (I promise you it will save you a whole lot of arguments!)
- Food, food and more food. More food than you could ever imagine a group of 12 could eat!
- Choc affair hot chocolate for those late night talks around the campfire.
We’d love to see your photos from your camping trips – send them in to our Facebook page and we will reward the best ones!